An Introduction to Ruby for Beginners (Two Evenings)
Learn how to speak to your computer with the programming language, Ruby!
July 19 - 26, 2017
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
For this workshop, we say goodbye to the web browser and hello to our computer, literally. Ruby is one of the many languages your computer understands and that you can use to speak to it but is known for being more elegant and natural compared to other programming languages. Ruby doesn’t use semi-colons, preventing those annoying errors that seem to happen for no reason, and often requires fewer lines of code to accomplish the same things as other languages.
In this workshop, you will learn about programming fundamentals as well as how to analyze data from Canada’s new Open Government portal! Join us to learn how to speak to your computer and tell it to do things for you.
The Ladies Learning Code Ruby for Absolute Beginners workshop is designed to be a hands-on experience. During the session, you will learn:
– Basic programming techniques and concepts that are translatable to other programming languages.
– Fundamental information about Ruby as a programming language.
– How to speak to your computer in Ruby and return various values.
– How to process, manipulate and analyze data.
– What resources are available if you’d like to continue learning at home (and we think you will).
Robin is an independent Ruby on Rails and Shopify developer from Toronto. He is always learning and loves to share his knowledge with others in the developer community. He is a mentor at Hackeryou, and an instructor and mentor at Ladies Learning Code. Robin keeps his typing fingers strong by rock climbing all around the world.